Saturday, January 27, 2007

The horrors of being adopted

I stumbled across an interesting little factoid as I cruised through Wikipedia. My absolute favorite skater, Scott Hamilton, is adopted.

I'd already known that famous pairs skaters Kitty and Peter Carruthers were adopted.

And we all know about Dave Thomas. And many of us knew Gerald Ford was adopted.

But what about John James Audubon? Stone Cold Steve Austin? Melissa Gilbert? Faith Hill? Steve Jobs? Art Linkletter? Lee Majors? James Michener? Nancy Reagan?

Oh -- and to me, the luckiest adoptees in the world are the four children adopted by Harpo Marx and his wife, Susan.

To be fair, adoptees don't always turn out well. Serial killers David "Son of Sam" Berkowitz and Kenneth "The Hillside Strangler" Bianchi were adopted. But I certainly think we have sufficient anecdotal evidence that being adopted isn't some incomparable horror, as the abortion lobby would have us believe.

No comments: