Wednesday, September 17, 2008

2003: Home abortion fatal for California teen

Holly Patterson, age 18, died September 17, 2003, from sepsis caused by a fetus incompletely expelled in a safe and legal medical abortion. Holly had gotten the drugs for the fatal abortion at a Planned Parenthood in Hayward, California, on September 10.

Rather than follow the recommended protocols for chemical abortions, Planned Parenthood followed the more popular American approach of giving Holly the mifepristone at the facility, then giving her misoprostol to self-administer at home.

Holly had experienced severe cramping and pain, and went to the emergency room. She was examined, given pain medication, and discharged.

At her boyfriends insistence, she returned to the emergency room on September 17, but by then her condition had deteriorated and efforts to save her were futile.

Monty Patterson, Holly's father, told the San Francisco Chronicle, "The medical community treats this as a simple pill you take, as if you're getting rid of a headache. The procedure, the follow-ups, it's all too lackadaisical. The girl gets a pill. Then she's sent home to do the rest on her own. There are just too many things that can go wrong."

Three other women were identified as having died of infection deaths after RU-486 deaths in the Los Angeles area: Chanelle Bryant, Oriane Shevin, and Vivian Tran. Chanelle got her abortion drugs at a Planned Parenthood, and Oriane and Vivian got theirs from National Abortion Federation members.



For more abortion deaths, visit the Cemetery of Choice:



To email this post to a friend, use the icon below.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for remembering Holly. It has been 5 years since her death. We should all be reminded that RU-486 is a very dangerous drug that needs to be pulled from the market.

sarah said...

Sorry for Holly's loss.

I am amazed by Holly's fathers strength in raising awareness.

I agree, look up mifepristone in any medical journal to find out the mechanisms by which this drug supresses the immune system.

Anonymous said...

baby got even