Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Abortion and misandry

Christina at Confessions of a Hot Carmel Sundae posted Abortion and Misandry, criticizing a comment by author Ursula Le Guin, who said that if she had not had an abortion, she "would have been an unwed mother with a 3-year-old in California, ... unmarriageable. Another useless woman."

I agree that this belittles men, but I also think that it speaks of a woman who has no self-respect whatsoever. If a man doesn't want me because I have children, that's his shortcoming, not mine. I'd never dream of ditching my children, unborn or underfoot, in order to be more attractive to men, because any man who would expect that of me isn't worth my notice. And any woman who's caring for her child -- who is, in short, a mom -- is by definition doing the toughest and most important job in the world. That's a far cry from "useless."

Does anybody know the exact Camus quote from The Rebel? He drew a distinction between rebellion and resentment. Rebellion is a standing up for what one is; resentment is envy of what another has and hatred of what one is. Gosh, women wanting to be exactly like men! Resenting men because they can have sex without getting pregnant. It really pegs it.

No comments: