Wednesday, December 03, 2014

"Black Lives Matter"

The Left, with all its current "Black Lives Matter" exhibits a resounding indifference to lives of Black women who suffer disproportionately from abortion quackery. 

That the abortion horror stories happen disproportionately to Black women is interesting, since Black women are the population cohort (by race and sex) most opposed to abortion.

Lakisha Wilson
Blacks comprise about 13 percent of the US population, yet Black woman are sold roughly 35 percent of abortions. But most disturbing is this fact: Black women account for at least 50 percent of known abortion deaths.

This bears repeating: A young Black woman is more than twice as likely to be sold an abortion as a young white woman, and once she gets on the abortion table, she is about twice as likely to suffer fatal complications as a white woman.

More to the point, a Black woman coming of age in the US is at least four times more likely to die from abortion complications than a white woman coming of age.

Tonya Reaves
To my knowledge, nobody has ever done a study investigating why abortion mortality disproportionately effects Black women. Is it because they're more likely to be public pay patients (who have a higher rate of abortion complications)? Is it because they tend to have fewer financial resources than their white counterparts, and therefore are more likely to fall prey to cut-rate abortion mills? Is it because they get even poorer care than their white sisters at the hands of racist abortionists? Nobody knows because, to my knowledge, nobody is asking.

I'm not the only person who has noticed this profound indifference to the lives of Black women entering America's abortion clinics. Matty Byrd, whose daughter Belinda died of abortion malpractice, wrote to the Los Angeles District Attorney:

Newspaper photo of a young Black woman
Belinda Byrd
I am the mother of Belinda Byrd, victim of abortionists at [Inglewood]. I am also the grandmother of her three young children who are left behind and motherless. I cry every day when I think how horrible her death was. She was slashed by them and then she bled to death ... and nobody cares. I know that other young black women are now dead after abortion at that address. ... Where is [the abortionist] now? Has he been stopped? Has anything happened to him because of what he did to my Belinda? Has he served jail time for any of these cruel deaths? People tell me nothing has happened, that nothing ever happens to white abortionists who leave young black women dead. I'm hurting real bad and want some justice for Belinda and all other women who go like sheep to slaughter.
The other young Black women were Lynette Wallace and Cora Lewis.

Antonesha Ross
Indeed, getting people to care about young Black women's deaths is an exercise in futility. When we were working on Lime 5, I opened an envelope full of death certificates a researcher had sent. They were death certificates for women who had died from abortions in Illinois. I'd long known about these deaths; all I needed to do with these death certificates was check for any details other reports had not included.

For some reason, as I leafed through the death certificates, my eye was drawn to the box marked "Race."


Edrica Goode
My co-worker, Mona, walked past my office a few minutes later and found me with my head down on my desk, crying. She asked what was wrong, and I shoved the fistful of death certificates at her.

"Look at these, Mona," I told her. "They're all Black women. We're never going to be able to get anybody to care."

That was nearly twenty years ago, and it seems that I was right. As long as abortion quackery continues to be predominately a problem of Black women, it will continue to be an invisible problem that doesn't get acknowledged, much less addressed.


A young Black man gets shot by a police officer under unclear circumstances, and entire neighborhoods burn. A young Black woman is left unattended to bleed out at an abortion clinic, and the silence is deafening.

It's about time for that to change.

No comments: