Priests for Life had suggested March 9 as "National Day of Invitation for Abortion Providers" to invite them to repent and reform. I don't see why we can't do it March 10 so that we're using the same day. In fact, it would be a powerful witness if the only people reaching out to abortionists on their special day was prolifers.
The National Day of Appreciation for Abortion Providers is mainly intended to overcome the powerful negatives of working in abortion. Dr. Rachel McNair has explored the stresses of abortion work in her Achieving Peace in the Abortion War. I'll not repeat Dr. McNair's findings here. I heartily recommend that between now and March 10, each and every person who is called to stand for life read this book online, prayerfully, with a heart open to ideas of how we can reach the folks who've fallen for the lie that abortion helps women.
Keep in mind that we're not dealing with evil people who enjoy killing babies. Yes, there's greed. Yes, there's egotism. But a common underlying motivation is the idea that somehow what they're doing is helping the patients. The typical abortion worker views himself as bravely overcoming his natural revulsion at destroying fetal life in order to better the lives of women.
So what we need to do is break through that illusion. With that in mind, let's look at Refuse and Resist's suggestions, and see where we can get ideas to reach these lost souls and help them break free. Refuse and Resist suggested the following activities for abortion fans last year:
- Praise clinic staff and doctors with cards and letters of appreciation. Let them know they have your support and thanks.
- Bring your local clinic staff flowers or a breakfast basket of fruit or muffins.
- Organize local appreciation day events.
- Organize with others to hold a March 10th dinner with area providers.
- Step up to the front lines and be a volunteer clinic escort.
- Ask your local provider how you can help.
- Write your local newspaper, call talk shows to express support.
- Take out ads in your newsletters and local newspapers.
- Use your imagination, creativity and dedication to help create a climate at clinics where women, doctors and staff can hold their heads high without feeling shamed or fearing assault.
My suggestions, based on the R&R list:
- Send clinic staff letters gently letting them know that though they may have meant well, they hurt you or your loved one.
- Bring your local staff gift baskets that include information on the Society of Centurions, or Clinic Worker.com. Make the gifts real gifts, like notecards, fruit, bath salts, and so forth, not phony "gifts" intended to crush the worker's spirit, like bloody dismembered baby dolls, baby clothes, etc.
- Organize a local event to increase awareness of how abortion hurts women, or provide a respectful counter-presence at locally organized pro-abortion events.
- Organize a job fair to help link clinic staff with people willing to give them new jobs that will allow them to escape the abortion business.
- Be a presence outside abortion facilities, reminding staff, patients, and the public of women who've been harmed there.
- Invite your local abortion staff to coffee, to let him or her vent in a safe environment without fear of being labeled a traitor.
- Write to your local newspaper, and call talk shows, to educate people about the harm abortion does to women.
- Use your imagination to create a climate in which abortion staff know that it's safe for them to approach you should they ever need your help.
Keep your eyes open for events being planned to keep abortionists in thrall. Think of ways to counter these efforts. Let's be a soft place for these wounded souls to land.