Saturday, March 26, 2005

A dismal Easter weekend

It's hard to find the joy when a woman is being starved to death, over the pained and agonized protests of those who love her most.

Jesus died to save a fallen world. Only by looking at Terri and others like her do I see any possible motivation for Him to have done so. And that's my sin. Jesus died for Michael Schiavo and Judge Greer and George Felos as well. He weeps for them as much as for Terri and her family. But I can't.

It's difficult to give them the benefit of the doubt, to believe that they're misguided or that they mean well. It's because of the nature of their particular sin: Pride. Lucifer, you will remember, wanted to be "like God." Likewise, these three men believe that they, not the Diety, should have control over when and where and how Terri Schiavo dies.

There was a time I spit in God's eye myself. The second verse of "Amazing Grace" rings particularly true:

"'Twas grace that taught my heart to fear
And grace my fear relieved."

I awaked to the reality, that running away from God is running to the abyss. So could Michael Schiavo, George Felos, and Judge Greer.

Easter weekend has become a death watch, rather than a joyous watch for the Resurrection. I don't know what's in the mind of God, that He is allowing this to all play out during Holy Week. I only know that two scriptures echo in my mind:

"Jesus wept."

"'I thirst.'"

No comments: