Thursday, March 14, 2013

The Infamouse Dr. Hagenow, Chicago, and Hauled Out to the Car

Abortionist Lucy "Louise" Hagenow
March 16, 1905, 27-year-old seamstress Mary Putnam died at Chicago's Monroe Street Hospital from infection caused by an abortion. May had been brought to the hospital two days earlier, in critical condition, and the police were notified. Dr. Lucy Hagenow and a man identified as F. E. MacCordy were arrested by the Coroner's Jury on March 16. Hagenow, who had already been implicated of the abortion deaths of Louise Derchow, Annie Dorris, Abbia Richards, and Emma Dep in San Francisco, would go on to be linked to over a dozen Chicago abortion deaths: Minnie Deering, Sophia Kuhn, Emily Anderson, Hannah Carlson, Marie Hecht, Lola Madison, Annie Horvatich, Lottie Lowy, Nina H. Pierce, Jean Cohen, Bridget Masterson, Elizabeth Welter, and Mary Moorehead.Hagenow's incorrigibility and her ability to for the most part avoid prosecution and prison stand as a stark reminder that we can not trust either the authorities nor abortion referral networks to stamp out quackery, regardless of abortion's legal status. Vigilance will always be necessary, as will highly visible opportunities for women to get life-affirming help.

On March 14, 1930, Alberta Beard, age 29, died at the office of Dr. Davis Lucas from an abortion perpetrated there that day. Lucas was arrested on May 24, on recommendation of the coroner. Lucas was indicted for felony murder in Alberta's death on August 7.

How much better are things nowadays, when abortion is safe and legal? Read on.

Glenda Davis, a 31-year-old mother of two, underwent a safe and legal abortion performed by Robert Hanson at Aaron Family Planning March 11, 1989. During the abortion, Glenda suffered a 1.5 - 2 inch long wound to her uterine artery and vein complex, causing massive bleeding. After a delay, staffers decided to transfer Glenda to the hospital. Glenda's husband discovered staffers attempting unsuccessfully to transfer Glenda from a wheelchair to a staffer's car. He helped them get Glenda into the car. With the IV still in her arm, Glenda was driven to HCA Memorial Hospital. She had no blood pressure and almost no pulse upon arrival. Glenda fell into a coma, and died three days later.

No comments: