Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Leaving an important part of the job undone

A discussion with Jacque from Texas has brought something to my attention I need to be a leader in repenting of.
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. (Philippians 4:8)

Yes, part of my job is exposing the works of darkness. People do need to be warned of danger. They do need to know that caveat emptor applies in spades when they're dealing with abortion. They do need to know about the dreadful things that have befallen women, that can befall themselves and/or their loved ones. Yes, absolutely.

But --
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. (Philippians 4:8)

I have not been doing this. (Oh, okay, once in a while I make a dulsatory effort. But you know what I mean!)

The pastor at my new church (He's a gem!) has said often, "The church needs to lead in repentance." He's preached several times about accountability. SO! Y'all are my source of accountability in this blog. Y'all, believers and unbelievers and muddled not-sure-what-I-believers alike. When I'm missing something true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent, or praiseworthy, please remind me.

In a discussion just this past Sunday with Pastor Dave, he was talking about how he has discernment, and can see what's wrong, and that he needs to see that he doesn't go overboard into becoming a critical nitpicker. (I don't think he is! He's been a blessing to me in spades!) But his words are echoing in my head now.

So let's start with the National Abortion Federation.

(Ouch!)

I'm not going to pretend that the NAF logo on a clinic door makes them trustworthy. But then, a cross around somebody's neck doesn't make them trustworthy, does it?
Test everything. Hold on to the good. (1 Thessalonians 5:21)


NAF does put information in abortionists' hands to make it possible to improve their care of women's physicial well-being. And within their own walls, they do chastise each other for quackery and irresponsibility, and try to improve the care that women get in member facilities. There are folks in NAF that really do try. Michael Burnhill (may he rest in peace) must have felt like he was banging his head against a brick wall, but he kept at it. Warren Hern (Pray for him daily, believers!) is still at it, trying to get his fellows to take responsibility for the decisions they make that put women's health and lives at risk. Whatever he does that's deceptive and wrong outside NAF, when he's inside their walls he's doing everything he can to see to it that women who walk into abortion clinics come out without physical injury. He seems oblivious to the idea that their spirits or psyches can be harmed -- but he cares about them. Doesn't it make more sense to start with the genuine caring, the goodness and decency that's already there -- and want to see God build on that?

I'm going to try to make a concerted effort to blog something good about prochoicers and abortionists every day, to find in them things that are true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent, or praiseworthy.

And can't you just see the shitstorm I'm inviting from the other prolifers? (Time to duck and cover!) Please, guys, stand with me in this!

Thank you for being here. I mean that. Acrhomic, L, Tlaloc, and the other prochoicers who stick around month in and month out. (Sorry I'm forgetting handles, but I never did have the knack of remembering names and that goes double for the internet, when I don't have faces to put to them.) We may disagree violently about abortion, but there's something (I'd say SomeOne) pulling us together and I really am glad you're on this journey with me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a noble idea!!! As you said, if there is a shred of common decency than there is a chance at redemption. I will stand with you on this! I think we all need to be reminded that everyone has that spark of humanity in them regardless of their personal beliefs and b/c of that, regardless of our differences we need to treat each other with respect. I will work on remembering this as I post and respond...

Christina Dunigan said...

I also think of the verse from the song, "Always Someone Cooler" --

"There are people you meet
They'e into something that it too big to be
Expressed through their clothes
And they'll put up with all the poses you throw
And you won't even know
That they're not sizing you up
They know your mom f***ed you up
Or maybe let you watch too much TV
But they'll still look in your eyes
To find the human inside
You know there's always something in there to see"

Alexandra said...

I'm glad to see this. I don't really come here much anymore, mostly because I got very tired of the constant negativity. A lot of insults you lobbed around did hit me personally -- especially because I have put a lot of work into helping women AVOID abortion -- and I got fed up with it, so I'm very happy to hear that you're trying to think more critically about some aspects of the issue. I wish you luck.

Christina Dunigan said...

Thanx, Alexandra.

I'm sorry I'm such an ass so much of the time. I'm glad you're here.