Thursday, February 19, 2009

Today's Scripture: Matthew 25:40

Matthew 25:40 --

New American Standard Bible (©1995)
"The King will answer and say to them, 'Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of these brothers of Mine, even the least of them, you did it to Me.'

GOD'S WORD® Translation (©1995)
"The king will answer them, 'I can guarantee this truth: Whatever you did for one of my brothers or sisters, no matter how unimportant [they seemed], you did for me.'

King James Bible
And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

American Standard Version
And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it unto one of these my brethren, even these least, ye did it unto me.

Douay-Rheims Bible
And the king answering, shall say to them: Amen I say to you, as long as you did it to one of these my least brethren, you did it to me.

Weymouth New Testament
"But the King will answer them, "'In solemn truth I tell you that in so far as you rendered such services to one of the humblest of these my brethren, you rendered them to myself.'

World English Bible
"The King will answer them, 'Most certainly I tell you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.'

Young's Literal Translation
And the king answering, shall say to them, Verily I say to you, Inasmuch as ye did it to one of these my brethren -- the least -- to me ye did it.

The word translated "truly" or "verily" is -- AMEN -- meaning very firmly, truly

What's translated as "you rendered to" or "ye did it to", etc, is from poieo:

1) to make
1a) with the names of things made, to produce, construct,
form, fashion, etc.
1b) to be the authors of, the cause
1c) to make ready, to prepare
1d) to produce, bear, shoot forth
1e) to acquire, to provide a thing for one's self
1f) to make a thing out of something
1g) to (make i.e.) render one anything
1g1) to (make i.e.) constitute or appoint one anything, to
appoint or ordain one that
1g2) to (make i.e.) declare one anything
1h) to put one forth, to lead him out
1i) to make one do something
1i1) cause one to
1j) to be the authors of a thing (to cause, bring about)
2) to do
2a) to act rightly, do well
2a1) to carry out, to execute
2b) to do a thing unto one
2b1) to do to one
2c) with designation of time: to pass, spend
2d) to celebrate, keep
2d1) to make ready, and so at the same time to institute,
the celebration of the passover
2e) to perform: to a promise


"The least" is elachistos:

1) smallest least
1a) in size
1b) in amount: of management of affairs
1c) in importance: what is the least moment
1d) in authority: of commandments
1e) in the estimation of men: of persons
1f) in rank and excellence: of persons


"Brethren" or "brothers" is adelphos:

1) a brother, whether born of the same two parents or only of the
same father or mother
2) having the same national ancestor, belonging to the same
people, or countryman
3) any fellow or man
4) a fellow believer, united to another by the bond of affection
5) an associate in employment or office
6) brethren in Christ
6a) his brothers by blood
6b) all men
6c) apostles
6d) Christians, as those who are exalted to the same heavenly place
from 1 (as a connective particle) and delphus (the womb); a brother
(literally or figuratively) near or remote (much like 1):-brother.


Now, put forth an argument that by virtue of being small, young, helpless, and totally dependent, the unborn are somehow not numbered among "the least of these". It seems from this Scripture that the more insignificant a person seems, the more you'd do well to treat them as you would Jesus.

No comments: