Saturday, July 15, 2006

Hard to satirize

The blogosphere has been buzzing over a satirical piece in "The Onion" that a prolifer mistook for the genuine rantings of an abortion fanatic.

Now, the fact that the piece was in "The Onion" will indicate to the savvy reader that the piece is intended as satire. But it's hard to satire extreme prochoice thought. Here are some quotes from the piece, meant as satire but actually accurately reflecting extreme thought among the prochoice movment. I've encountered many of these in the years I've been active. I'll bring you examples of those I've linked to along the way. Please add other examples in the comments section, and I'll incorporate them.

(Please note, I'm not saying that these are the thoughts of rank-and-file prochoicers; I'm merely pointing out that the more time you spend reading prochoice writings and listening to prochoice people, the more likely you are to have encountered people writing and saying such outrageous things that satire is no longer satirical, because you've come across people asserting it in all seriousness.)

So, without further ado here are the quotes (in italics), with links (to be added as they're submitted) to examples of real prochoicers actually saying and evidently being serious about these things. Again, please submit actual examples so I can incorporate them:

I am totally psyched for this abortion!

Abortion is the best!
Patricial Baird-Windle: "I am now pro-abortion." "I now consider abortion to be a major blessing, and to be a sacrament in the hands of women."
Majikthise: "Abortion is good."
Petition Spot: "Abortion is great. It makes life, and sex, easier."
Abortion is wonderful!: "For me, abortion is not horrible, it's a godsend." (Thanks, JJ)

This abortion is going to be so amazing.

I'm definitely taking lots of pictures so I can remember every last detail of the whole experience for years to come and share my great memories with all of my friends, family and co-workers.
Dawn Eden blogged about the woman who took pictures of her embryo and posted them on her blog in an entry called "Meet the Interloper." She posted: Yes indeed, there was an intact embryo to be seen. Yes, I took pictures. No, it is not so I can moon over them and make colorbars with flowery script reading "My Precious Dead Angel Baby, Gabriel Damien Pretty-Boy Eckard." I'm probably just morbid--when I saw it, I was squealing like a school girl, going, "Holy crap, that's so cool!" and I didn't know what to think about it at first, but the more and closer I looked at it, the more I thought it had to be the single neatest thing I had ever seen. .... But I was looking at it and seeing the teeny face (it was at the point where it has the huge flat nose and looks kind of like a puppy) and the little webbed flipper feet and the huge black eyes, going "HOLY CRAP THIS THING IS FREAKING AWESOME." I called Austin up to see it, and he wasn't quite as giddy about it but he still wanted to see it. Apparently he didn't realize it would have fingers and toes and all of that so soon. I quoted her myself: I feel fabulous. I've been giddy and smiling all day...."
Then there the abortion jewelry that doesn't use real fetuses but nevertheless depicts a bloody embryo for wear as earrings or a necklace to commemorate the abortion.

What an easy decision this was!
Pinko Feminist Hellcat: "If I was pregnant today, I would make an appointment at the nearest clinic. I would have an abortion with no regrets, no guilt, and no shame." (Thanks, JJ)

See you at my post-abortion party, everybody!
Rosa Naperstek-Taft and her friends had a party the night before her abortion to celebrate that she'd be the first of her friends to have an abortion post-legalization.

Granted, there are some dead giveaways:

I've got an abortion to plan, and I just know it's going to be the best non-anesthetized invasive uterine surgery ever!

I seriously cannot wait for all the hemorrhaging and the uterine contractions.

So I'd still think the article was obvious satire, just poorly-done satire. But somebody who didn't know what "The Onion" is, and who had encountered a lot of extremists among the prochoice, might jump the gun and mistake it for something just a tad more extreme.

And I'll grant, by the same token, that somebody who read a lot of "Army of God" stuff and the babblings of Paul Hill would have a hard time spotting satirizing of extreme antiabortion rantings.

No comments: