Wednesday, February 24, 2010

More on abortionist Kermit Gosnell: Not his first dead patient

I wrote up yesterday about the investigation into Dr. Kermit Gosnell's nasty Philadelphia abortion clinic where a woman I refer to as "Amelia Roe" died last November 20.

It turns out that Amelia isn't the first woman Gosnell killed with a botched abortion.

Suspended Pa. abortion doctor had 2 patients die:

Semika Shirelle Shaw called the office the day after her abortion because she was bleeding badly but wasn't told to get checked there or at a hospital, according to court documents. The lawsuit alleged that Shaw, a 22-year-old mother of two, died two days later of a perforated uterus and sepsis.

Semika died in March of 2000.

"Amelia" has also been identified as 41-year-old Karnamaya Mongar.

Here is another article and update:

  • A Matter of Life and Death:

    SOMETHING had gone wrong with the abortion.

    That's all Marie Smith could think about as she vomited incessantly and shivered with a high fever, just a week after Dr. Kermit B. Gosnell had performed an abortion on her at his West Philadelphia clinic in 1999.

    Smith, 19 at the time, fell unconscious at her mother's home and was taken to Presbyterian Hospital, where doctors confirmed her suspicions.

    Something had indeed gone wrong, but it was worse than she could have imagined.

    "They showed me X-rays and said he [Gosnell] left an arm and a leg inside me," Smith said last night. "I almost died. I thought he knew what he was doing, but I guess I was wrong."

    Marie told reporters that she was 5 months pregnant when she went to Gosnell's clinic, which she found in the Yellow Pages. Since the waiting room was full of women, Marie "figured he must have been okay." After the abortion, which Marie paid $485 for, she noticed that women who had undergone their abortions were slumped over, bleeding, on the recliners. "I thought it was pretty nasty," she said. "I kind of wondered what he was up to there. He told me he did abortions up to the eighth month."

    She sued in 2001, one of at least 46 lawsuits against Gosnell in Philadelphia.

    Carolyn Hernandez sued after Gosnell reportedly punctured her uterus and colon during an abortion in 1986. She said, "I remember the pain was crazy, and I was screaming for him to stop,. At some point, he did stop. He took me off the table, put me on a couch in the waiting room and did another girl's abortion." He came back to her later to finish the abortion, but Carolyn suffered even more complications. "I lost so much blood, I almost died. My sweatshirt was soaked with blood." She had to be taken to a hospital for treatment.

    The article also notes, "agents learned that some of Gosnell's unlicensed employees were examining patients and giving them medication, and often worked alone. Gosnell's clinic is open for business during the day, authorities said, yet he doesn't arrive until between 6 and 9 p.m."

    Ah, but there's no reason to worry! The Washington Post reassures readers:

    The National Abortion Federation, an accrediting and standard-setting body for abortion providers, said the Women's Medical Society wasn't accredited.

    "There are places that operate in low-income areas and prey on low-income women, students, immigrant populations who may not even know that abortion is legal in this country," said Vicki Saporta, the group's president. "Women need to know that there's no reason, no matter their socioeconomic status, for them not to have access to the highest quality care."

    Yes, surely they can get "the highest quality care" at National Abortion Federation facilities, right? Like 18-year-old Barbaralee Davis, the first woman to die of abortion complications in member facility of the then newly-formed NAF. Or 15-year-old Sara Niebel, who died after an abortion at NAF member Midtown Hospital. Or 20-year-old Gloria Aponte, died after an abortion by NAF member Hanan Rotem -- who was letting his receptionist assist with anesthesia. Or 18-year-old Christi Stile, who was left in a vegetative state after an abortion at NAF member facility Mayfair Women's Clinic. Or 17--year-old Sophie McCoy, who died after an abortion by NAF member Abu Hayat, who is best known for having ripped the arm off a 32-week-fetus, Ana Rosa Rodriguez, who was then born live and maimed. Or like any of these victims of NAF abortionists. Oh, yeah. Call NAF and get a referral.

    Unknown said...

    Abortion legal up to 24 weeks, that's crazy!!! My country,the Czech Republic and pretty much rest of Europe has no abortion past 12th week law....personally even that I consider too long...I think it shouldn't be allowed past the 9th week...before this time is enough to take the abortion pill and one doesn't have to deal with the nasty instruments (crushing skull, tearing and sucking etc...)and the nasty hands of unskilled doctors and risking own can someone allow to go all the way to 32 weeks and then deside to get abortion, I just don't simply get it!!!!

    Anonymous said...

    Who's to blame for Dr Kermit Gosnell?
    The health care system.
    The judicial system.

    Read the DA's report Indictment - it's all there.
    Irregardless of how you feel about abortion - this case is about the murder of a woman and 7 viable babies.

    Dr Gosnell should have gotten his dirty inhuman clinic shut down 30 years ago. Planned Parenthood would have be a better alternative.